Thank you so much to restinbitchface for the nomination, I love your blog. So many people seem to edit their life on WordPress/Twitter/Facebook/social media into one big happy life so it’s refreshing to find a blog where someone says, “this is me.” I love reading your posts.
You need to answer 11 Questions as asked by a Liebster awarder, then Give 11 facts about yourself, then also supply 11 questions to your nominated Liebster Award Receivers.
The 11 questions from restinbitchface are:
1. If you could give your younger self a bit of advice, what would it be and why?
Don’t stress! I used to worry what people thought of me so much so that I used to each my lunch in the toilets in whatever job I was working in because I’ve always been overweight, and let’s face it; people don’t want to see fat people eat, do they? It took me until I was in my mid-20’s before I could eat properly in public. Sometimes I’ll be eating at my desk at work now and I’ll remember that feeling and it just doesn’t compute. I couldn’t imagine doing that now. Besides, it’s not very hygienic! I’m 36 now and I love having that feeling of, “I don’t care what you think”. It’s so freeing.
2. If you had to go into a Nuclear Bunker, what would be the 5 things you take in with you?
a) ooh, well, my husband Michael for one! I’d miss him so much if I left him behind
b) enough food and drink that we’d survive
c) my friends and family as we’d miss them too much too
d) a first aid kit to keep everyone safe and well
e) tools because you never know when you may need tools
3. Reading books or a kindle (tablet type gadget)?
Ooh, a tricky one for me as our books are available in both paperback and Kindle. We did try paperback only, but people complained that they wanted to read them on Kindle so once Amazon changed their tax tactics (try saying that fast!), we put them back on Kindle. I personally prefer paperbacks as I love their smell, the feel of the book, the bookmark sticking out of the end of the book signalling how far you’ve read and how long’s left. I love bookshops too. You couldn’t replicate an online only store in bricks and mortar, it wouldn’t feel the same.
4. Dinner in or Dinner out?
I’d have to say dinner in. Since Michael got his brain injury from a car accident in 2009, he hasn’t really been able to eat while in noisy, busy or unfamiliar places. When we’re out and about, we tend to get sandwich meal deals and eat them in the car, and that’s romantic enough for me 🙂
5. What’s your favourite meal?
I love mexican food; nachos, chimichangas, tacos, burritos and fajitas, and there has to be jalapenos! I think my favourite Mexican dish is chilli topped nachos. I want some now!
6. If you could change one aspect of society, what would it be and why?
That everyone would treat everyone else fairly and equally. Thin people aren’t “better” than fat people because they’re thin for example. Everyone is equal for what they contribute to society, and if everyone’s contribution was positive, just imagine what kind of world we’d live in. Sometimes when I get a bit “isn’t the world an awful place”, I take a look at websites like Kindness Blog, TED Talks and Huffington Post’s Good News and I feel a lot better.
7. If you could send a message into Space, what would it say?
I’d ask for aliens to come and make society more economically and politically equal, and give us their take on religion!
8. What is your favourite thing to do on a stormy night?
Sit with Michael, all snuggled up and watch the rain 🙂
9. What do you do to cope with stressful situations?
I used to eat to be honest. I was always an emotional eater, and I think some of that came from having PCOS with regards to it being sugary food. Now, I try and think about what part of the situation is making me stressed and see if I can change it. If I can’t change it, I try and just deal with it. I love the Reinhold Niebuhr quote, “God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.” I’m not a religious person but this is how I deal with things now.
10. If you could change anything about your past, would you and why?
Not a thing from before I was 30. I have realised many, many times that if I had passed my driving test (I failed 3 times and I still don’t have a driving licence, only a provisional), changed jobs at all, made any other decision than the ones I did, then I probably wouldn’t have met Michael. I met him when I was 30 years and 26 days old so anything before then; no. Since I met Michael? Loads! I haven’t dealt with life situations very well in the last 5 years, but I have really turned that around in the last 6 months.
11. If you could have a meal with 11 (going with the theme here) people, dead or alive, who would they be and why
– Michael, it wouldn’t be the same without him there
– Paul Rudd because he’s cute AND hilarious
– The boys from McFly as I love them and their music
– Monica Bellucci because Michael finds her really interesting
– Art Bell so that he could delight us with his knowledge of the weird and supernatural
– Joseph Gordon-Levitt because I love his work and find him really interesting
– Christopher Hitchens because it’d be fascinating to hear his argument with the next person,
– Alan Watts because he’s one of the few people with a deep enough knowledge of religion to argue against Hitchens (sadly, they are no longer with us)
– Freddie Mercury because he’s a legend and could entertain us all
– Peter Ustinov because he was a raconteur extraordinaire
– Napoleon because he’d be fascinating
11 Facts about me!
1. I’m from Leeds and I lived there for the first 19 years of my life, then various times in between city moves around the UK
2. I love Fimo modelling clay and I have had some for ages but I don’t quite know what to make yet. I have a feeling that when inspiration strikes that I’ll make cool things
3. The 80s are my favourite decade but then, I was born in 1978 so my childhood took place in the 80s. The music, the fashion, the films, the television. I’d go back to visit if I could!
4. My ideal job would be working with charities and community projects, helping to publicise their fundraising events
5. I cannot walk properly in high heels and I much prefer ballet pumps or trainers
6. I am a fiend for tea and Michael makes the best cups in the world!
7. My first foreign holiday was an island hopping holiday around the Greek islands Santorini, Ios and Naxos and it was amazing. I was 28!
8. I have a scar on one of my bumcheeks as I cartwheeled into a rose bush when I was about 8!
9. I love bike riding and I have a bright pink Pashley Poppy bike
10. My favourite films are Shaun Of The Dead, Hot Fuzz, Strictly Ballroom, She’s The Man and Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion.
11. I’ve been using internet since 1999, when everyone thought that the only people who went on the internet were “perverts and weirdos”. I’m glad I stuck with it!
1. If money was no object, what job would you be doing (if any?)
2. What’s your favourite colour, and why?
3. If I beemed down in an alien spaceship and wanted to be shown your favourite place, where would you take me, and why?
4. If you could meet one famous person, alive or dead, who would it be and why?
5. If you could ban one bad habit in people, what would it be and why?
6. If you had to look like any celebrity, who would it be and why?
7. What are your 5 favourite songs and why?
8. Do you have a signature dish that you are brilliant at making?
9. Which fictional detective would you most like to be and why?
10. What’s your favourite book and why?
11. What place most sticks in your mind and why?